NCVT - The National Children and Violence Trust
Chairperson of the National Children and Violence Trust, Thoko Mkhwanazi-Xaluva reflects on gender based violence
27 December 2023
A string of rape cases against minors has once again brought the sexual violence epidemic to the forefront, now the case of teenage boys allegedly raping a 15-year-old girl. How do we better protect our children?
A 39-year-old man has been arrested for allegedly raping and impregnating his 15-year-old daughter. According to reports, the father allegedly started violating his daughter in 2021 when she was just twelve years old. This is the child’s second pregnancy and both pregnancies have been terminated.
16 DAYS OF ACTIVISIM AGAINST WOMEN AND CHILDREN ABUSE
01 December 2023
WHAT IS THE 16 DAYS ACTIVISM?
- It is a WORLDWIDE Campaign to OPPOSE VIOLENCE against WOMEN and CHILDREN
- It aims to raise awareness of the NEGATIVE impact that VIOLENCE and ABUSE have on WOMEN and CHILDREN and to RID society of ABUSE PERMANENTLY
WHEN DOES THE CAMPAIGN TAKE PLACE?
- The 16 Days of Activism Campaign is held from 25 November to 10 December every year
- However, the success of this campaign rests on our daily individual and collective actions to safeguard our society against this cycle of abuse
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE CAUSES OF VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND CHILDREN?
It stems from the low status of women in the home and in society
It happens when men abuse POWER and positions of authority in order to CONTROL women and children
WHAT IS ABUSE?
Any form of behaviour that causes:
- bodily harm
- a person to do things against their will
DO YOU KNOW...
that Parliament has passed laws to protect the rights of individuals against abuse?
16 August 2023
Socio-Economic Dialog under the theme: "Taking a stand towards Socio-Economic Violence against older persons" at Ubuntu Senior Service Centre. Ivory Park Ext. 2 Midrand.
Nelson Mandela International Day
19 July 2023
In commemoration of Nelson Mandela International Day 2023, the National Children & Violence Trust- NCVT visited different places and had a variety of activities. On this day, we celebrated Madiba's life by assisting those who are in need for 67 Minutes and beyond. This year we were approached by different sponsors and stakeholders who ensured that the day becomes a success. below are the places and activities that took place.
1. Little Roses creche in Kysands, sponsored by LNP Beyond Legal, donated toys,care packs, clothes, mini blankets and played with children.
2. Diepsloot West Secondary School sponsored by Dalani Marketing- Donating 1500 sandwiches to all learners. Other sandwiches were given to Thandanani Place of Safety in Zandspruit.
3. Little Rose ECD, Cosmo City sponsored by @Whitfields Property Management, Donated care packs,toys, blankets for children and played with kids.
4. Man’s shelter, Florida- Cleaning and disinfecting the entire shelter.
5. In partnership with SAPS and JMPD, visited
5.1. Yenzani Children’s Home in Noordwyk
5.2. New life Center for Girls in Glen Austine Brand
5.3. Clunny Farm Adult with Intellectual Disabilities in Kyalami
5.4. Tumelo Home in President Park
Activities at these areas were handing out care packs, flowers, blankets, dancing and singing. These engagements were to ensure that we do good to others just like Nelson Mandela encouraged many of us to do so on his day. We hope our sponsors and stakeholders will continue supporting NCVT’s vision. Nelson Mandela International day.